Crispy Tempeh Pita with Tomato-Onion Jam
Sun Basket – Recipe Source
This crispy tempeh Pita with tomato-onion jam may look complicated, but the recipe is actually quite simple, tasty, and vegan!
- 2 pieces California Lavash Pita
- ½ pound flax tempeh, cut in thin strips
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch watercress, ends trimmed
- In a large frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain the tempeh, transfer to a medium bowl, stir in the lemon juice, tamari, mustard, and black pepper, and cover the bowl.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tsp. oil and add the onion and tomatoes. Season generously with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the onion is caramelized and the tomatoes are broken down, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp. water and cook until the liquid is almost evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a fork or masher, mash the mixture to a coarse paste.
- Warm 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat and put tempeh in the pan, setting aside the remaining marinade. Cook without stirring until lightly browned and crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in 2 tbsp. marinade and cook until the tempeh is caramelized, about 30 seconds longer.
- Toast pitas, cut in half, and fill with watercress, tempeh, and tomato-onion jam. Enjoy!
In this recipe:Pita Traditional »