Lavash Panini with Summer Vegetables
Sun Basket – Recipe Source
These melty vegetarian sandwiches on Lavash ooze mozzarella and practically burst with the healthy flavors of summer vegetables.
- 4 sheets California Lavash
- 1 oz. sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 1/4 pounds summer squash
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1/4 pound baby spinach
- 1/4 pound baby arugula
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Sun Basket arugula pesto (arugula, walnuts, Parmesan, olive oil, salt)
- In a small bowl, cover the sun-dried tomatoes with very hot tap water.
- Let stand while you cook the squash and greens.
- Trim the ends from the squash; cut the squash on the diagonal into 1/4″-thick slices.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tbsp. oil until hot but not smoking.
- Working in batches if needed, arrange the squash in a single layer, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and just starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Wipe out the pan.
- While the squash cooks, prepare the garlic.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 tsp.
- In the same pan used for the squash, warm 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the spinach and arugula, season with salt and pepper, and cook until slightly wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach and arugula to a colander to drain. Wipe out the pan.
- Cut the mozzarella into 1/4″-thick slices.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes and pat dry; thinly slice the tomatoes.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems.
- Place the Lavash flatbreads side by side.
- Top half of each Lavash with mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and arugula, and basil leaves, dividing evenly, then fold the Lavash in half.
- Warm the pan used for the spinach over medium heat.
- Working in batches if needed, brush the outside of the panini lightly with oil, add to the hot pan, and cook over medium heat until the flatbread is toasted and the mozzarella has melted, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice in half.
- While the paninis cook, finish the squash.
- To the bowl with the squash, add the pumpkin seeds and arugula pesto and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the panini to individual plates and serve the squash alongside.
If you have a panini press, by all means pull it out for this recipe. If not, you can use a pan or grill to toast the sandwich and a spatula to flatten it. You can also warm it on the stove pressed between 2 pans. If you have a grill and feel like cooking outside, brush the outside of the folded lavash lightly with oil and cook over a medium fire.
- Serving Size: 6 paninis
In this recipe:Lavash Traditional »