Mediterranean Harissa Stew with Crispy Vegan Lavash Strips
- 1 sheet California Lavash
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp. salt, and more to taste for Lavash strips
- 2 tsp. coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. yellow curry powder
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 tbsp. harissa*
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb (450g) large purple sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes, fire roasted
- 4 cups vegan chick’n broth
- 3–4 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp. saffron threads
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups cooked Israeli couscous, farro, orzo or freekeh
- Handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped (garnish)
- Finely grated lemon zest (garnish)
- Extra virgin olive oil (garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Slice Lavash into 1/2 inch thick strips. Spray a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray and lay the strips down evenly.
- Spray the strips lightly with cooking spray and season with salt to taste.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the Lavash is golden brown.
- Heat a wide, heavy skillet or Dutch oven (5 1/2 quart) over medium heat. Melt the coconut oil in the pot.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the ground cumin, ground coriander, curry powder, cinnamon stick, harissa, and tomato paste and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the carrots, purple sweet potatoes, salt, black pepper, and crushed tomatoes. Cook, stirring, for about a minute, until fragrant, and add the broth and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer, and simmer until the sweet potatoes and carrots have cooked down slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the Israeli couscous or grains, grate lemon rind, and chop parsley for garnish.
- Add the saffron threads and chickpeas to the pot.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the yellow bell pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick before serving and add couscous or your favorite grain. Ladle into bowls and top with chopped parsley (if desired), grated lemon zest and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with Lavash strips.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6
In this recipe:Lavash Traditional »