Musakhan Chicken Lavash Wraps
Sun Basket – Recipe Source
These hearty and delicious main-course wraps feature chicken thighs marinated in fragrant middle eastern spices.
- 2 sheets California Lavash
- 10 oz. boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Musakhan spice blend (sumac – sweet smoked paprika – allspice)
- Quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar – honey)
- 3 oz. shredded carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 oz. mixed greens
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid.
- Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, currants, pine nuts, Musakhan spice blend, and 1 to 2 tbsp. oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir to coat.
- While the chicken marinates, make the pickled carrots and the tzatziki.
- In a small sauce pot, bring the quick-pickle brine to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the carrots, and season with salt.
- Cover and let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tbsp. oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the chicken and marinade and cook, stirring once or twice, until the chicken is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a dry large grill or frying pan over medium heat, warm the Lavash until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Repeat with the other Lavash piece.
- Alternatively, on a sheet pan, lay the Lavash side by side and heat in the oven at 350F F, about 5 minutes.
- Brush the warmed Lavash with 1 to 2 tsp. oil.
- Spoon the chicken mixture along one end of the Lavash.
- Top with the mixed greens and pickled carrots, sprinkle with the sumac, and roll up each Lavash into a wrap.
- Cut the wraps in half crosswise.
- Transfer the wraps to individual plates and serve.
TIP: If you feel like turning on the oven, place the lavash side by side on a sheet pan, brush with oil, and bake at 350F until warm but still pliable, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap
In this recipe:Lavash Whole Grain »