Chicken Lavash Soup
- 2-3 sheets California Lavash
- 2 quarts chicken stock*
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1-½ cups shredded roasted chicken*
- ¼ cup steamed edamame beans, shelled
- 2 limes, just the juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- 7 oz. fresh enoki mushrooms, separated (or other mushrooms and vegetables)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can combined diced tomatoes and jalapeños
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch (optional)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stack the sheets of Lavash. Cut into ¼-inch strips. Place on a greased baking sheet, drizzle about 2 tbsp. oil and bake for 10 minutes until crispy. Reserve a few strips of Lavash for garnish.
- In a blender, place the diced tomatoes and jalapeños. Add a little vegetable broth for a smooth flow. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat 1 tbsp. canola oil. Add the onions and cumin. Cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add the blended tomatoes and chilies, tomato paste and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the avocados with 2 tbsp. lime juice to prevent oxidation. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the enoki mushrooms, edamame beans and red chili powder. Cook for an additional minute.
- Transfer the mushrooms and vegetables to the hot broth. Finish with the shredded chicken and the remaining lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: To thicken the broth a bit, dissolve the cornstarch in a small bowl with ¼ to ½ cup of water. Bring the soup to a boil and add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add the Lavash strips. Turn off the heat and stir well.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls.
- Add a little bit of avocado into the center of each bowl. Sprinkle the reserved Lavash strips over the top of each bowl and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Tip: If you want to make sure the diced avocado remains green, just drizzle a little lime juice over it before serving. You could also garnish the soup with guacamole if you like.
Spicy option: Add 1 or 2 roasted, seeded, finely diced jalapeÃ±os in addition to the canned jalapeÃ±os.
*Vegetarian option: Serve vegetarian broth with only tofu (instead of shredded chicken).
Makes: 6 servings
In this recipe:Lavash Whole Grain »