Lentil Patty Lavash Wrap
- 3 sheets California Lavash
- ½ (16 oz.) package steamed black lentils, separated
- 3 tbsp. canola oil (or any neutral oil)
- 1 clove fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp. fried yellow onions
- 1 egg, lightly beaten*
- ½ cup blue cheese (or crumbled tofu), room temperature*
- ½ tsp. dried mint
- 1 tsp. slightly toasted coriander seeds, freshly ground
- 1 tsp. slightly toasted fennel seeds, freshly ground
- ½ tsp. cayenne powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp. flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp. black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups mashed potato curry (or mashed potatoes)
- 4 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 oz. alfalfa sprouts (or watercress sprigs or baby spinach)
- ½ cup raita (or sour cream)*
- In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp. of oil. Add the coarsely chopped garlic and fry until golden. Add paprika, cayenne powder, ground fennel and coriander. Set aside.
- Lightly oil the bowl of a food processor with a silicone brush. Combine the lentils with the fried garlic and seasoning and its flavored oil. Coarsely blend until a thick paste is formed. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley and pulse 3-4 times. Transfer the lentil paste into a bowl.
- Add the egg to the mashed lentils. The mixture will thicken.
- Add ¼ cup fried onions, garlic powder, mustard, 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese and the red onions. Mix well.
- Heat a large, non-stick pan with the remaining oil. Once the oil is hot, place mounds of lentil mixture into the hot pan, using an ice cream scoop. Make sure to space the lentil patties about 1 to 2 inches apart so that they don't touch each other, as they will expand when they're cooked.
- Lower the heat to medium-high and pan-fry until golden. Using a silicone spatula, flatten the patties and flip them. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side until a golden crust is formed on both sides of the patties.
- Transfer to a cooling rack, lined with paper towels.
- On the Lavash, spread a layer of potato curry, sprinkle with the remaining crumbled blue cheese, add tomato slices and alfalfa sprouts, top with 3 lentil patties and drizzle a little raita yogurt sauce.
- Tightly roll up each Lavash around the filling into a cone, fold the bottom and insert the wrap into a small glass cup, letting the sandwich stand upright. Garnish with more parsley.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- The froz.en shelf life of the patties before they’re seared is 1 month. Place squares of parchment underneath each patty and chill on a tray for about 1 hour in the freezer before stacking (still with the parchment squares).
How to caramelize onions: Heat about 1 tbsp. of oil in a non-stick pan. Add thinly sliced onions. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the onion from burning, until the color is evenly golden brown. To sa
*Vegan option: For the egg, you can substitute Â½ tsp. xanthan gum, 1 tsp. of oil, and Â½ tsp. liquid lecithin. Replace the blue cheese with crumbled tofu and drizzle vegan sauce instead. How to make your own vegan sauce: in a food processor, combine
Makes: 6 wraps
In this recipe:Lavash Spinach »